Since the middle of the 19th century, Moss Brothers had been weavers and converters of corduroy and moleskin fabric. About the turn of the century The English Velvet Cord Dyeing Company moved into the district and took over some of the local dyeing firms. Fearing the prospect of a monopoly in the dyeing trade, which could be to their disadvantage, several clothing companies got together along with the largest dyers in the district, Moss Bros.Ltd. with their extensive dye works at Bridgeroyd. Together they formed The English Fustian Manufacturing Company Ltd. on 13th February 1901.